Wednesday, March 21, 2018

10 facts as a collector

Seven Facts about me as a collector

- Fact 1. As a kid, I Started Collecting baseball cards in 1977.

In 1982, I was making a habit of collecting cards.

In 1989, I started purchasing cards in bulk.

In the mid 90s I stopped for a while and picked it backup up in 2007.

I'm not the usual collector.

- Fact 2. I buy locally, don't do much anymore with eBay.
  Why?
  I have two nice card shops where I live.
  Plus there are many private sellers around.
  Normally I see better prices, no shipping, I see the product. I just enjoy it more going in person to shows and shops.

  So like most collectors today, I don't have "mail day"

- Fact 3. I only have 15 K cards.  Most collectors who have been collecting as long as I have, well have many more.
  In fact, I'm looking at getting rid of many of my excess cards so that I can stay in that range.


- Fact 4. I don't use binders.
  Why?
  I don't trust them.  When I was a teenager, I used them.
  But they hang, bend, and are heavy. Plus they don't really protect the cards.

- Fact 5. I don't slab any of my cards.
  Why?
  It's not important to me.  I have never been into this hobby for investment or profit.

- Fact 6. I catalog and file all cards.  If they are not filed, they are hanging on walls on display
  Why?
  I want to enjoy my cards.  I want to know exactly what I have and be able to find them, view them,
  why have them.  I simply want to be able to enjoy them.

- Fact 7.  I'm not a very focused collector.   Other than collecting Cubs, HoFs, certain sets, years,
Cardinals, White Sox, Red Sox, All-Stars .... well you get the picture.

- Fact 8.  I was a huge Cardinals fan until Andre Dawson and Ryne Sandberg played together on the Cubs.  I was forever converted.  As a cardinals fan in the 70s, I was even trading many of my Cubs baseball cards to other kids.

- Fact 9.  No one else in my family like baseball or baseball cards like I do.

- Fact 10. I wrote all my collecting software myself.  Why, so I could have a product that could do what I wanted, display data in a way I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few good cards picked up

- 1983 Donruss Lee Smith (Cubs) - HoF - 1993 Topps Ryne Sandberg - All Star Card (Cubs) - HoF - 1989 Donruss Carlton Fisk (White Sox) -  HoF...