Sunday, January 7, 2018

Me, comics, and D&D

Most people that know me know that I have many thousands of baseball cards.  I of course started collecting them as a child when I was in grade school.  My most significant collection is of the Cubs, followed by Cardinals, White Sox, and Red Sox.  What many people don't know about me is that I have hundreds of comic books.  I don't really consider myself a comic book collector.  I just have stuff that I like ;)

My biggest collection is of the Defenders by Marvel comics.  I purchased 4 a kid on a whim and loved them.  I later just made sure I acquired the rest so I could have the whole story from beginning to end.  I also loved Thor, Hulk, and Captain Marvel.  I don't think most 'comic people' really know how big a part of the Marvel Universe had through the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  Also how intertwined they were with the Avengers.  Or even that the Hulk and Dr Strange were Defenders way before they ever were part of the Avengers.  Some characters would even go back and forth between the two.  With that in mind, I may start blogging about the stories contained in all these comics.

One thing that has changed is that in 2017, I started playing two different D&D campaigns.  I had not played this much D&D since I played in the late 70s and early 80s.  Now that D&D has changed a lot with the 5e rules and being adult, it does feel considerably different.  I'm meeting with a friend this Friday to talk about a new campaign to start.  That is also very different for me.  In the past I had always used commercially paid campaigns.  2017 and now 2018 will be home brewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few good cards picked up

- 1983 Donruss Lee Smith (Cubs) - HoF - 1993 Topps Ryne Sandberg - All Star Card (Cubs) - HoF - 1989 Donruss Carlton Fisk (White Sox) -  HoF...